Wireless Networks for Warehouse Operations
Moving tens of thousands of items per day to customers around the world and accurately tracking inventory status requires near-real-time information access. To meet customer demand while minimizing inventory costs, warehouses rely on Ethernet-based devices such as handheld bar code scanners. These devices capture and send data over wireless networks to back-end operations, finance, and manufacturing systems where it forms the foundation for the company's reporting, forecasting, and customer service operations.
Wireless networking equipment such as access points and wireless switches rely on Ethernet connectivity for their backhaul infrastructure. Yet because a warehouse can cover many acres in size, pulling cable is expensive, disruptive, and time consuming. In addition, storage configurations can change frequently making it nearly impossible to extend a wired backhaul to every desired location. As a result, many warehouses suffer gaps in coverage, erratic connectivity, and data loss.
Warehousing facilities can benefit significantly from the flexibility, low cost, and extensive coverage of Firetide wireless mesh networks. Because they operate seamlessly indoors and outdoors, a Firetide mesh network enables full continuity of service from inside trucks in the freight yard to the individual warehouse shelves where goods are stored and readied for shipment.
HotPort mesh nodes can be installed virtually anywhere and they provide complete network coverage over a wireless mesh backbone. This enables deploying a single network that can span every building and open space on a property. The high capacity of the HotPort mesh network delivers exceptional performance allowing multiple applications and critical services to operate simultaneously for maximum responsiveness and efficiency.
The HotPort mesh network provides direct Ethernet connectivity at each node location and supports a wide variety of networking devices and applications. The wireless mesh backbone allows deployment of sensors, scanners, RFID equipment, Wi-Fi access points, printers, workstations, and surveillance cameras anywhere on the premises without the expense of installing network cabling.
- Extend coverage - extend existing LAN coverage indoors and outdoors, from offices to remote storage units to loading docks. Even extend network connectivity to moving vehicles such as forklifts and trucks.
- Create Wi-Fi zones - you can easily locate access points anywhere for total coverage or spot coverage, eliminating typical line-of-sight issues. This enables you to provide high-speed Internet access and connectivity for any Ethernet device - such as scanners, PCs, and printers - without running miles of cabling.
- Security and surveillance - a Firetide wireless mesh network is ideal for enhancing safety and premises security. Ethernet surveillance cameras can be installed where needed and connected to a HotPort wireless mesh node for delivering real-time feeds to a central monitoring area over the Firetide broadband network.
- Temporary networks - install a Firetide wireless mesh network in hours or several days rather than in weeks or months. Simply plug Firetide HotPort wireless mesh routers into AC power and they automatically self-configure. This flexibility makes a Firetide instant wireless mesh network ideal for creating and tearing down temporary networks as needed.
- Firetide wireless mesh network deployments can be installed quickly and cost-effectively, and can be tailored to the exact size required.
- Substantially lower deployment costs than can be achieved with traditional wired networks because a Firetide instant mesh network eliminates the need to dig trenches or tear down walls and ceilings to pull cable.
- Data transport is secured across the mesh using industry-standard, strong encryption methods.
- Add nodes instantly, wherever Ethernet access is required, including time clocks, scales, surveillance cameras, and even on